Dr. Sammer Yousuf
Ph.D. (Organic Chemistry,Karachi)
H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry
- Assistant Professor
Telephone: -111-222-292 Ext-112
Office: Room HEJ-110
- H.E.J. Research Institute of ChemistryInstitutional development is an ongoing process without which scientific establishments cannot sustain the rigor and quality of frontier research. H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry during the last four decades has achieved a number of milestones and remains at the pinnacle of excellence and sustained growth. Emphasis has been on raising the standards of training ...
- International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences H. E. J. Research Institute of Chemistry (ICCBS) University of Karachi, Karachi-75270 Pakistan Tel: (92-21) 4824924, 4824925 Fax: 4819018, 4819019 E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Over 60 research publications in international journals and 2 chapter in a book. Current research interest includes structure determination of complex organic molecules of natural and synthetic origins by employing single-crystal X-ray diffraction techniques. By using an state of the art of diffractometer, she has determined the structures of hundreds of compounds including a novel class of organoflourine secondary metabolites, first time obtained from any natural sources.
Ph.D. (Organic Chemistry) H. E. J. Research Institute of Chemistry University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan 2007
Thesis Title: “Isolation, Structure Elucidation and Biotransformation Studies on Secondary Metabolites from Withania Somnifara and related plants”
M.Sc. (Organic Chemistry) University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan 2000
B.Sc. (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology) Jinnah University for women, Karachi, Pakistan 1998
AWARDS & HONORS
• TWAS Regional Prize for Young Scientist from Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) 2011
• HEC (Higher Education Commission, Pakistan), 2003
• Merit Scholarship for Ph. D. students Ist class Ist position in M. Sc (Chemistry) 2001
• AlHaj Molvi-Riazudin Gold medal for securing Ist position in M.Sc. (chemistry) 2001
Assistant Professor H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences University of Karachi July 2010 Present To guide and train the graduate/Ph. D. level students for the single crystal X-ray Diffraction technique. Incharge of Single-Crystal X-Ray Diffraction facility of the Institue
Reaserch Officer H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences University of Karachi July. 2008 - May 2010
Post Doctoral Research Associate Single X-Ray Crystallography Laboratory, School of Chemical Sciences and Food Technology, Faculty of Science Nov. 2007 - April 2008 Biodata and List of Publications Pag No. 3 and Technology, Universiti Kebangsaan, Malaysia
"Single Crystal X-Ray Diffraction Studies on Novel Natural Products."
Senior Research Fellow H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry University of Karachi, Karachi-75270, Pakistan “Isolation, Structure Elucidation and Biotransformation Studies on Secondary Metabolites from Withania Somnifara and related plants” April. 2001- April. 2007
• Working as Cordinator of PABIC (Pakistan Biotechnology Information Center)
• Actively invloved in organizing scientific events such as, workshops and conferences for both ICCBS and PABIC. Total
Number of Publications • 34
Seperation of Phenyl Propanoids and Evaluation of Their Antioxidant Activities, Yousuf S., Choudhary M. I. and Atta-ur-Rahman, Advance Protocols in oxidative Stress II (appear in a series, Methods in Molecular Biology, 594), The Humana Press, 357 (2010). USA
2. Agriculture Biotechnology in OIC Countries-Role of COMSTECH and PABIC, Choudhary M. I., Yousuf S., Communication Challenges and Converggance in Crop Biotechnology, Published by ISAAA and SEARCA, 2011.
Dr Sammer Yousuf. Coordinator, IYCr South Asian Summit 2014.
Pakistani scientist wins award in India
Karachi: Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) has awarded TWAS Regional Prize for young scientist to a female Pakistani scientist of Karachi University (KU), namely Dr Sammer Yousuf.
The award was given during the AFRO-ASIA Workshop on Advanced Topics in Chemistry, held on June 13 to 17, 2011 at TWAS Regional Office for Central and South Asia (TWAS-ROCASSA) at Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore, India. Dr. Yousuf was selected for this honor from over 30 oral presentations of scientists of 10 regional countries.
Dr Yousuf as an Assistant Professor is working at the HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry, International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences, Karachi University, according to ICCBS spokesman. She is among very few chemists of Pakistan working on Single-Crystal X-Ray Diffraction technique.
KU Vice Chancellor Professor Dr Pirzada Qasim Raza Siddqui, former Chairman of Higher Education Commission Prof Dr Atta-ur-Rehman and Director ICCBS Prof Dr M Iqbal Choudhary have congratulated Dr Yousuf on her achievement.
KU Circular Rd, Karachi, Pakistan
///////Dr. Sammer Yousuf , KU Circular Rd, Karachi, Pakistan